Instrument Technician II
Company: Messer North America
Posted on: November 19, 2023
Purpose of the position: As our Instrument Technician II, you
will execute principal responsibilities to ensure the safe,
reliable and efficient operation of our continuous chemical
manufacturing process in accordance with local and national
regulations and standards. You will also execute maintenance
activities (preventive, corrective and predictive). Principal
- Understand and adhere to company safe work policies.
- Contribute to the improvement of the Safety, Health,
Environmental and Quality programs.
- Follow Lone Worker requirements.
- Apply the hazardous work permit (HWP) process, lockout-tagout
(LOTO) and energy isolation procedures as required for company and
- Follow management of change (MOC) procedures for all changes to
process and operating procedures.
- Direct and monitor contractors.
- Lead and participate in operations and safety meetings.
- Participate in safety committee activities as required.
- Support plant inventory management efforts.
- Follow work instructions and annotate with feedback.
- Set up and safely operate all tools and equipment necessary to
perform assigned work.
- Effectively prioritize and schedule all work activities.
- Once certified:
- Calibrate, configure, and/or replace field instrumentation
- Perform and document process and product analyzers calibration
- Troubleshoot and repair electrical equipment control
- Troubleshoot and repair process control equipment.
- Functionally test or troubleshoot instrument or electrical
control loops through field devices to verify proper operation.
Process Operation and Efficiency
- Assist in shutdowns, start-ups, derimes, and production state
changes for plant(s) in the area.
- Utilize Computerized Maintenance Management System
- Troubleshoot process problems to identify equipment requiring
- Document activities and data in plant electronic logbook and
- Accept on-call duty and overtime as required. People /
- Maintain an open line of communication with the manager and
- Support new employees and entry-level technicians through
coaching and mentoring.
- Perform other duties as assigned. Required Qualifications:
- 5 years of relevant experience in a related process plant
operations reliability activity.
- ISA Level 2 certification or the ability to obtain one in two
- Certificate in a technical discipline, two-year related degree
or recent military training in a technical field will be considered
in lieu of ISA Level 2 certification. Required Skills:
- Math - Basic algebra, fractions/percentages, unit
- Personal computer proficiency.
- Strong interpersonal abilities to support team philosophy and
- Ability to work alone.
- High mechanical aptitude and ability to work with simple
mechanics' hand tools.
- Basic knowledge of chemical manufacturing hazards.
- Familiarity with common process equipment and its
- Understanding of basic electrical hazards and safety and skills
in troubleshooting electrical systems, with support from subject
- Ability to troubleshoot 4-20 mA transmitter and
electro-pneumatic control loops.
- Ability to rack in/out 480 & 4160V breakers and wire up to 480V
- Ability to interpret engineering drawings including P&IDs
- Able to navigate a document management system to find relevant
work instructions, forms, and supporting documentation.
- Ability to complete preventive maintenance tasks according to
- Capable of operating a forklift, and/or overhead crane, and/or
- Physically able to perform all duties required which may
involve among other things: bending, stooping, kneeling, climbing
ladders, and lifting and carrying loads of up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to climb to heights over 200 ft above grade and work
- Reside within a reasonable distance of the plant.
- Valid driver's license with a good record.
- Capable of distinguishing different colors.
- Ability to interpret electrical drawings including single-line
- Understanding of trip and interlock logic protecting people and
- Ability to troubleshoot pneumatic control systems consisting of
I/Ps, solenoid valves, quick exhausts, actuators, regulators, and
proportional/integral controllers both stand-alone and
- Be familiar with codes and standards associated with wiring and
conduit. Join us and you will be part of a company that values and
supports your career. We offer competitive pay and benefits, with
set schedules, steady work and opportunities for ongoing training
and career progression. An Instrument Technician II role in Messer
can earn from $35.78 up to $52.48 on an hourly basis. Together we
value innovation, efficiency and flexibility. Putting safety first,
working with integrity and respect, we encourage everyone to find
solutions for success. That means for our customers and for our
colleagues. This makes us a great place to build a career where
your skills are valued and developed. Apply Careers If you need
assistance with the application or would like to request an
accommodation, call .
Keywords: Messer North America, Torrance , Instrument Technician II, Professions , Torrance, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!