Physician Assistant Cardio-Thoracic Surgery - FT Days
Company: Torrance Memorial Medical Center
Posted on: January 25, 2023
The Cardio-Thoracic Surgical Physician Assistant (PA) provides
leadership and direction for the program throughout the Medical
Center and designs protocols, updates and revises the program
components as needed. Under the clinical direction a designated
physician and other appropriate cardiothoracic surgeons, the
Cardio- Thoracic Surgery Physician Assistant provides services and
assists in the operating room under the current medical staff
privileges. The Cardio-Thoracic and Aortic Surgery PA's primary
focus is on the provision of surgical patient care primarily in
operating suites but may extend throughout all phases of care:
pre-hospitalization, hospitalization and post operative care and
management utilizing advanced practice skills and knowledge;
collaborates with multiple disciplines to provide for optimal
patient care. Duties encompass evidence based clinical practice,
consultation, education and research. Continuity is maintained
across the continuum of care in all care settings. The advanced
knowledge and skills required for this role included clinical
expertise in the specialty focus area, evidence-based practice,
mentoring, consultation, collaboration and education.Core
- Assists in Thoracic Surgery in accordance with Title 22.
- Assists on cardiac, thoracic and vascular surgery as
privileged, with priority given to endoscopic vein harvesting and
endoscopic radial artery harvesting.
- Collaborates with consultants on the management of
- Consults with attending surgeon on significant patient
- Develops, implements and follows up on an individualized
treatment plan for each patient which includes ordering appropriate
diagnostic tests, prescribing pharmacological and
non-pharmacological treatments; and as privileged.
- Documents in the medical record.
- Provides care based on the physical and psychosocial needs of
- Recognizes situations which require the immediate attention of
a physician and initiates BLS/ACLS as necessary.
- Maintains surgical techniques including: Aseptic technique and
ability to maintain sterile field Patient positioning: prepping and
draping Intra op retracting Hemostasis Wound Closure Surgical
dressing Evaluation and treatment of patients with acute and
chronic conditions related to specialty, following standardized
procedures and as privileged.
- Develops and implements physician, staff, and patient
educational programs and materials.
- Provides on-going education to nursing office staff and OR at
the point of care.
- Educates patients and families concerning what can be expected
prior to, during and after cardiac and thoracic surgery.
- Follows up with families during surgery.
- Provides leadership in the development, implementation, and
evaluation of community and patient education programs in the focus
- Participates in the development, implementation and evaluation
of the cardiothoracic surgical program (ie, policies/procedures,
orders, protocols, standards etc)
- Identifies opportunities for improvement in the care of
cardiothoracic patients that can improve outcomes related to
utilization of supplies and processes in OR.
- Leads, designs and implements process improvement activities,
in a multidisciplinary format, that improve patient outcomes and
- Collaborates and engages in multidisciplinary team work toward
achieving Standards for Thoracic Surgery and Surgical Care
Improvement Program goals.
- Provides feedback to medical and hospital staff regarding
patient conditions, needs, and outcomes.
- Works toward organizational targets in cardiothoracic patients
length of stay and resource utilization.
- Participates in data analysis and auditing around process
improvement endeavors, as necessary.
- Attends seminars and continuing education conferences to
maintain professional certifications and qualifications.
- Maintains current knowledge of reimbursement issues as they
apply to PA practice.
- Maintains safety and infection control techniques.Department
- Participates in the continuous improvement model utilizing lean
tools and techniques.EducationDegreeProgramMastersOtherAdditional
InformationGraduate from accredited PA programExperienceNumber of
Years ExperienceType of ExperienceN/AAdditional Information3 years
of cardiovascular and thoracic Physician Assistant experience in
strategy and critical care unit required.License / Certification
RequirementsPA license and Physician Assistant Examining Committee
License NCCPABCLS or ACLS CertificationCompensation Range:$66.92 -
Keywords: Torrance Memorial Medical Center, Torrance , Physician Assistant Cardio-Thoracic Surgery - FT Days, Healthcare , Torrance, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!