Environmental Health/Safety Specialist
Company: Society for Conservation Biology
Posted on: November 23, 2022
Environmental Health/Safety Specialist
Location: Gardena, CA (90248)
Job ID: #65063
Seeking an Environmental, Health and Safety (EHS) Specialist to
support Maritime operations in the Gardena, CA. The successful
candidate will have comprehensive knowledge of environmental,
health, safety and sustainability programs, experience setting up
and managing EHS programs in industrial and engineering settings
and have a project management background.
The EHS Specialist will be responsible for implementing, and
maintaining the policies, programs, and procedures within the
L3Harris EHS management system, and will ensure compliance with all
federal, state, local, and customer EHS requirements.
The role will also serve as a subject matter expert in occupational
safety and health, environmental, and sustainability matters for
Gardena, CA. The EHS Specialist must serve as a change agent and
demonstrate the ability to guide operations leaders in implementing
EHS programs, building a zero-injury culture, and minimizing impact
on the environment.
Major functions: ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the
following. Other duties may be assigned.
1. Participate actively with the organization's leadership to
establish policies and directions to achieve the targets and
objectives within the EHS program.
2. Assist in developing company environment, health and safety
(EHS) programs and policies to ensure compliance with federal,
state and local environmental health and safety regulations.
3. Responsible for implementing, and monitoring company
environment, health and safety (EHS) programs and policies to
ensure compliance with federal, state and local environmental
health and safety regulations.
4. Works with stakeholders in the organization during space
planning, building expansions and/or other changes in facilities or
work areas to ensure EHS requirements and regulations are met.
5. Remains current with all applicable regulations and company
policies and advise leadership in EHS-related programmatic change
recommendations or requirements.
6. Focuses on continuous improvement of EHS programs in processes,
systems, and products
7. Prepares and completes environmental, health and safety reports,
permits, and any other types of EHS requirements.
8. Assist in the implementation of EHS projects such as: hazardous
communication training, air inventory logs, hoist safety program,
PPE selection, machine guarding, accident investigations, workers
compensation, lockout/tagout training, etc.
9. Maintain current chemical inventory and approve new chemicals to
10. Conducts job hazard assessments to identify and mitigate
hazards in the workplace.
11. Leads EHS committees and engages all employees to take
ownership of EHS.
12. Supports pollution prevention and sustainability project
identification and execution.
13. Supports and guides accident investigations to determine
thorough root cause and produces and maintains necessary
documentation and permits.
14. Establishes and maintains necessary contacts with site, county,
state, federal regulatory agencies.
15. Manages the hazardous materials and waste storage areas; guides
receiving and storage of hazardous materials and waste plus waste
minimization projects. Interacts with Treatment Storage Disposal
Facilities to profile waste streams.
16. Assists with major environmental activities: emission
quantification, South Coast Air Quality Management District
activities, storm water permit compliance, and sources
17. Audits production departments for EHS regulatory compliance and
assist production management in maintaining a positive safety
culture on the floor.
18. Conducts workplace surveys, safety audits and assessments.
Advises management of conditions requiring corrective actions
19. Assist in instructing departmental personnel on the proper
handling of chemicals, labeling and disposal of hazardous waste in
accordance with GHS.
20. Participates as member of the Emergency Response Team. Keeps
current on new development in the field.
21. Performs other duties as required by Management.
22. Up to 20% support for the Anaheim facility.
23. Flexible to support off-shift or weekend activities and
response measures, when needed, and able to travel 10% of the
Technical/Functional skills:Preferred Additional Skills:
* DOD issued Secret level Clearance preferred.
* EHS-related professional accreditations (ASP, CSP or similar)
* Experience in California EHS regulatory requirements.
* Strong root cause analysis skills.
* Experience using and leveraging EHS common tools and systems,
such as Gensuite.
* Strong teamwork, interpersonal, problem-solving, and analysis
* Exhibits sound judgment and professionalism in all
* Self-directed, with demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks
and assess priorities effectively.
Education/Experience/Licenses etc.:To perform this job
successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential
duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are
representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with
disabilities to perform the essential functions.
* Requires both business knowledge and technical understanding in
* Capability to guide teams without a formal management role.
* Bachelor's Degree with a minimum of 4 years of prior related
* Graduate Degree with a minimum of 2 years of prior related
* Associates Degree and a minimum of 8 years of prior related
experience would also be given consideration.
* Strong technical understanding of occupational health and safety
and environmental regulations and practices.
* Experience developing and authoring risk assessments, policies,
and training programs.
Benefits provided: 6 paid holidays, 401K, medical, dental, and
vision, sick time as applicable to state law
Butler America Aerospace, LLC. is proud to provide an equal
opportunity workplace and be an affirmative action employer.
Consider Butler because we are committed to hiring and retaining a
diverse workforce. We recognize that we thrive on diversity and
inclusion for the benefit of our employees, our customers, and the
communities where we are located. Employment decisions are made
without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin,
ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual
orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status,
mental or physical disability or any other legally protected
status. Create a job alert and receive personalized job
recommendations straight to your inbox.
Keywords: Society for Conservation Biology, Torrance , Environmental Health/Safety Specialist, Healthcare , Torrance, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!